The Ampeg V-4B 100W All-Tube Bass Head is Back!

Ampeg V-4B 100W All-Tube Bass Head

V4B-HalfStackAmpeg is extremely proud and excited to announce a truly remarkable reissue of the legendary V-4B 100W All-Tube Bass Head. The original earned a place in bass history, delivering pure all-tube tone and unmistakable grind that is one-of-a-kind. The all-new V-4B head embodies this legendary tone in a stage-worthy package that is unquestionably V-4B.

“From the vintage rocker switches to the unique chassis suspension system… the attention to detail is all there,” remarks Ampeg Product Manager, Zane Williams. “And, of course, the tone had to be perfect. It’s the classic all-tube Ampeg sound in a head that’s less than half the weight of an SVT. You’ve got to love that.”

While the new V-4B is sure to appeal to fans of the classic original, it is also ideal for bassists who crave the tone of the Ampeg SVT head, but don’t need that level of power or who want a more portable option. The V-4B is the same width as the SVT-CL and SVT-VR and fits securely onto any Classic Series Ampeg cabinet including the all-new SVT-112AV and SVT-212AV.

V-4B Front Panel

“100 watts of all-tube power is really a sweet spot for professional bassists,” remarks Williams. “With the new V-4B, you not only get the sought-after tone of a fully-cranked Amepg tube amp at volumes more suitable for modern venues and applications, you also benefit from a huge gain in portability.”

The Ampeg V-4B design process involved sampling a wide range of vintage V-4B heads for reference with the goal of achieving preamp and power section circuits and overall tone that undeniably V-4B. However, by using a modern-day analog approach, there is an increase in both reliability and serviceability. A focused selection of modern features includes an integrated DI with ground lift, a -15dB input for active basses and a range of speaker outputs at different impedances. Maintaining the tone and integrity of the classic V-4B was the primary design goal, but the addition of these modern features adds flexibility and functionality perfect for today’s players.

The new Ampeg V-4B has an estimated availability starting in late August, 2013.

1. Comment by Michael J Pease August 9, 2013 @ 4:19 am

I own an original V4B and an SVT 3 Pro. I would consider buying this new V4B as a replacement or backup if it is built in the USA. No where in the info does it say where this unit is manufactured. So I assume it is not part of the Heritage Series. Please advise. Take Care

2. Comment by Ampeg News August 9, 2013 @ 8:00 am

The new V-4B reissue is not an Ampeg Heritage Series amp. It is not made in the U.S.

3. Comment by Robbie Nuke August 12, 2013 @ 5:01 pm

Would have liked to have seen this developed with four KT-88 or four 6550 tubes (bass tubes) instead of the 6L6’s. You would then have 150-200 Watts! Could have upgraded the price point slightly and have a more competitive amp without much more production cost.

Front & rear panel functions/layout/graphics are excellent!

4. Comment by DW August 12, 2013 @ 8:35 pm

Where and when will they be available?

5. Comment by Tim w August 14, 2013 @ 8:30 pm

What tubes does it take?

6. Comment by Rich M August 17, 2013 @ 3:34 pm

Dear Ampeg news,

Any chance you will be adding a V4 (w/reverb) and an optional 212 guitar cab?

I use my ’72 V4 head for bass (w/ a ’76 Ampeg V2 cab). For guitar, I use the V4 with a custom 212. The head works great with both instruments – and it should take minimal tinkering to make it happen from the V4B’s platform.

I heard that the GVT line has been discontinued – it would be nice to see at least one option for the Ampeg lover/guitarist(/bassist).

7. Comment by Rich M2 August 20, 2013 @ 5:04 am

A classic bass rig was an Ampeg V4B head and a V6B cab (the wider version). Any chance of Ampeg using the 610 HLF cabinet loaded with two Eminence 15″ speakers as a cab for the V4B?

8. Comment by James September 28, 2013 @ 10:52 am

I love old Ampeg V-4 cabs and have been stacking these with a Sovtek for years…so,
    Why not reissue the old guitar amps? I would buy a V-4 and or V-22 in a minutes notice. I personally know over 3 people searching for these old heads as I type this. Bring back the V-4. As a 6 string player I have been loyal but feel rather neglected. haha

Throw in some Kt-88 options?

9. Comment by J. H. Smith October 19, 2013 @ 8:35 am

So far everything looks awesome. I can’t wait until I can buy TWO! The 6L6s are fine. The point with this is to allow you to crank it out to get the excited harmonics and reactive sustain without creating an earthquake. Otherwise, you can always put your 300 watt SVT through a Variac or power attenuator to achieve the same effect. One point that was brought up was where it’s made? We all hope the good ol’ US of A. The only other concern is that there doesn’t seem to be Speakon connectors in the back. But then again I’ve worked without speakon’s for the last 30 plus years just fine.

10. Comment by Fabio February 18, 2015 @ 4:24 pm

I think v4b as a riessue should be made exactly like the vintage one, that mean overbuild transformers to handle running 6550 tubes, old v4b pushed out 100/130 w ,and possibility to put in 6550 power tubes like Ampeg offered as a factory upgrade from Ampeg in the late 70s , larger head box like the original .and Absolutely made in USA

11. Comment by Fabio February 18, 2015 @ 4:35 pm

and before i forget ,ampeg should reintroduce the 2x15E no tweeter.. and make even a 4x10E without tweeter and 2x12E
    without tweeter..and increase a bit the decibel and watt on 4x10HE cab because tone is good but are not loud enough..10″speaker with 92 db for a 4×10 is not enough at least a cabinet can push put 100 db

12. Comment by jim May 13, 2015 @ 12:56 pm

I cannot justify paying the price of new ampeg gear that is not US made.
    I have heard that their production facilities are in Vietnam Nam. I have a problem with that alone .
    I cannot tell a company where they should have their factories but I can choose not to buy their products.…6L6s are nit, in my opinion, suitable tube for bass guitar

13. Comment by Blake D. Tatar September 4, 2015 @ 3:20 pm

It has been over 20 years since I had an Ampeg V4B. I recently got back into playing and got a new Rickenbacker 4003W and an Ampeg V4B with an SVT212AV cab. Socks are GONE!! What a great amp! It sounds the way I remembered it only better. The gain and Master volume make a huge difference as you can get that slightly overdriven sound at lower volumes. I give it a AAA+++! LOVE THIS AMP!!!

Required fields marked wtih "*"

© LOUD Technologies Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Promotions & Rebates